Wednesday, July 12, 2006

T minus 4 days and counting

Well, this is the week before my next triathlon. I'm doing the Mountain Man sprint in Flagstaff, AZ. I was feeling pretty good about the race until yesterday. Cara, Triboomer, and I went for a short open water swim (600 meters) and a very short sub mile run. The swim wasn't too, too bad but on the run I felt out of energy and had to walk some of the distance. I have no idea what could have caused this but I was freaking out afterwards. I felt like a wimp, not a triathlete about to embark on a race. But on my way home, I realized that I was already wearing my running gear, I had my MP3 player with me (loaded full of stellar tunes), and my running trail was before I hit my exit to go to my house. Last minute, I decided to hit the running trail and go for a run. SUCCESS!! For some reason, my energy was up, my legs weren't tired, and my tunes were blaring. I ran about 2.5 miles and I felt good...really good!

Let me get this straight. Running is by far my best sport of the three so when I couldn't run a mile yesterday I was trippin'. So after my recovery run, my confidence is back. Now all I have to do is survive the swim which I think is completely possible. It might not be pretty but by golly, I'm gonna do it!!

Here's some pre-race information:
Swim: 700 meters
Bike: 18 K
Run: 5 K

My thoughts are:
1) I can do this. I've done much more difficult races than this one. Go, go, go!
2) Decrease my transition times by not talking and unstrapping my shoes prior to dismount.
3) I'm a little concerned with the altitude difference. It's roughly a 6,500 foot difference.
4) I'm also a little nervous about camping out the night before. Are we crazy??
5) It's been a while since I've been in the water with a hundred other people elbowing, punching, and kicking me. Since this is my weakest sport, those factors DO play a role in my anxiety.
6) I'm really excited to see Arizona!
7) The race course looks pretty flat for the most part, with the exception of the uphill swim. =)
8) I can do this, I've done this, I can do it again...but better! Go, go, go!!! Don't freak out!!!

I know there are several other races happening this Sunday. So for those of you picking up race packets, GOOD LUCK!!! Swim, Bike, Run your heart out! Okay, I'm off...

3 Comments:

Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

E,

It's good to hear you got your run mojo back. There's nothing like a little recovery and blastin' tunes to put the game back in your legs.

Good luck in your race. Don't freak over the things you can't control like the altitude. Relax, relax, relax and have fun.

Stay tuned...

6:32 PM  
Blogger liz said...

hey Elizabeth ! about the run... been there ! it seems like some days are just better than others. sometimes my training seems like a crazy rollercoaster.

good luck with your race. you are going to kick butt ! have fun. i can't wait to hear about it !

11:03 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Just caught up on your blog. Can't wait to hear how the race went!!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home