Tuesday, June 13, 2006

More Trip Review

Well, like I said in my last post, I had such an amazing journey through the beautiful lands of Turkey and Greece. My expectations were met and exceeded in Turkey. Contrary to most of my family's thoughts about the safety of Turkey, I never once felt in danger or scared. The Turks were extremely friendly and willing to help out Americans however possible. I haven't mentioned that my travel buddies were 3 of my friends, Cara, of course, and two other friends from Iowa, Mary and Deb.

This picture is of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey. I took this shot from the ferry as we were headed over to the Asian side of Istanbul.

Most Muslim mosques have either 1, 2, or 4 of the pillars that you see in the picture. The Blue Mosque is the only mosque in the world to have 6 and Mecca is the only one to have 7. It stands across the way from the Church Hagia Sophia, which is a gorgeous mosque a couple of hundred yards away and sports only 4 of the pillars. If you ever plan on going to Istanbul, prepare for prayer times 5 times a day starting at 4:20 in the freakin' morning. After a while you don't even hear the incredibly loud speakers with the cantor, but it takes some getting used to.

This is me standing in front of the ever-famous Parthenon in Athens.

People, including myself, often get the Acropolis and the Parthenon mixed up. But to set the record straight, the Acropolis is the actual hill on which the Parthenon sits. And let me tell you, it's quite a hike up that steep hill but well worth the view of the beautiful city of Athens. I kept getting the feeling that I was standing on such a major part of history and that's a pretty dang good feeling. It was breathtaking to be at the actual location that I've only read about in my lifetime. Fortunately we arrived at the Parthenon about an hour before it closed. I say that's fortunate because there were hardly any people there and I got some amazing shots of the structure without the spectators. It's a must see for travelers but don't plan on spending the whole day there; it doesn't take that long to visit the ancient ruins.

Okay, that's all for now. I'll post some more later!

2 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

OMG, those building are so cool! I would love to go to Athens someday! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks Barb! The whole trip really was amazing. Thanks for the comment! Keep in touch!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home