Sunday, July 23, 2006

Rrrrrace Report!!!

Well folks, I did it!!! I'm alive and well and back in the great state of Texas. I'll cut to the chase and let you know how my race went. Here are my results and thoughts.

Overall Age Group: 12 out of 14
Thoughts: I didn't want to be last and I wasn't. Phew!!

Swim: 28:11
Thoughts: Yea!!! I beat my swim goal by several minutes. I still have much more improvement to conquer but I'm slowly getting there! I don't feel as discouraged anymore but I know I have much more room for improving my swim technique. Don't get me started, I could go on and on about this topic as you know.

T1: 1:59
Thoughts: Geeeez!! This is such a major improvement from my last tri. I didn't talk and I got down to business. I felt really off balance after the swim so I was suprised to see my time was under two minutes. I was also suprised to see several people walking through their transitions.

Bike: 44:48
Thoughts: I knew during my bike that I was going really slow. I was having an extremely hard time breathing. I truly felt as though I was breathing through a straw. My goal for this part of the race was between 30 and 45 minutes but I really thought I would have finished long before I did. I was a little disappointed on this time but that's okay, training will continue.

T2: 1:46
Thoughts: Hello!! Once again, major improvement from last tri.

Run: 37:19
Thoughts: Whoa. During the swim and run I knew I was having a hard time with the altitude but running is my thing and I felt really relaxed and really good. So seeing this time for a 5K was extremely disappointing to me. I walked for about 15 seconds when I got a drink of water but the rest of the time I ran. My breathing felt under control finally but I guess my body was moving slower than I realized. My final thoughts on this is that I felt good about it during the race and that's all that matters. Sure it's a little disappointing but once again, training will continue.

Overall: 1:54:01
Thoughts: My overall time was of course longer than I was expecting. I don't know if I was psyching myself out about the altitude or if it really was playing a factor in my performance. The race was really flat and it was BY FAR the most relaxed event that I've ever attended, as far as the rules and such. Transition was first come, first served, and it never closed before the race. We were free to go in and out as we wished, which kind of bothered me but it was also kind of nice. Everyone there was really nice and I met some super nice people. I have a feeling that if this race was done at a lower altitude that I would have had shorter times. Isn't it funny how we train so hard to finish the race as fast as we can? You'd think that we'd want to make it last as long as possible considering how much work we've put into it. It's just funny to think about.

Anyway, overall the race was so much fun. The full race report will be on the next In Transit show. It should be out soon! If you listen to the show and want to leave a voice mail about whatever you want, feel free to call our In Transit phone line and leave up to a two minute long message. 920.482.4822. We'd love to hear from you!

Here are some pictures from the day before and race day! Enjoy!!

Pre-race hydration. Very important!



The world's longest transition area (and this is only part of it).


I had to conquer Lake Mary...and I did!!!


This is me zooming by on my 'cycle! Great feeling!


This picture is the last few steps of my race! And yes, I did beat that guy!


Me and Cara right after the race. Relaxation time!

I'll post more pictures and thoughts about our trip to the Grand Canyon very soon! I'm off...

4 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

Dude, I just figured it out-- your bike pace was 14.97 mph. I think that's pretty good! So, it wasn't as "slow" as you thought. Nice report.

6:29 PM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

E,

Cool race report. Congrats on the faster swim and transition times. You rocked it!

Stay tuned...

(103 days to my first IM)

7:18 PM  
Blogger liz said...

awesome report, Elizabeth. it makes me so happy to hear about your (and Cara's) race. believe me, i'd be happy to be able to CRAWL to the finish, any finish line ! you should be really proud of yourself for your accomplishments. best of luck with your training.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Don't bash the guys too much that you beat.....I'm usually that guy!!! :-(

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home